About Me

My photo
Clintonville, OH
The story of a photographer and his faithful wife. Nick has a gift for seeing the beautiful in the ordinary, Beth has a knack for data entry. Welcome to our world.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday, Monday

Do I already have a blog with this title? I can't remember and don't care enough to check.
Oh my goodness I just busted out a 5-pg paper that isn't even due until Sunday. I am taking a Child Psych course that is pretty interesting. The subject of the paper was on discipline (my choice out of about five other options), so maybe it was easier to write because I am interested in it. It is weird to write my opinions about a subject I have yet to experience, namely child-rearing. I can practically feel the instructor (who is very encouraging and helpful) rolling her eyes because I do not have kids. But I am honest about the fact that these are just ideas rolling around in my head until that time of my life hits—I strive to be humble in my observations, I think. Since a lot of my close friends have had children (YAY!) I have only heard a couple of times the comments that go something like "Oh, you wouldn't know because you're not a mom yet..." or when I am brave enough to answer their questions about my opinion on a subject I have gotten the old "you think that now, but you just wait." I hate that. The thing is, we are children of God. Parenting (hopefully) is modeled after His parenting of us, and since I have been a child of his for a while now, it is possible for me to have a few opinions or maybe something to add to a conversation. I am not fooling myself into thinking that those said opinions will not change drastically, but whatever. It's fun to talk about such things.
Speaking of which, Michelle is so great to talk to about literally everything. Parenting? Sure. Marriage? Definitely. We could talk or not talk for hours--we both love the debate and the picking of the brain that inevitably follows. Seriously, hours. Another friend that I love talking to is Aubrey. If you don’t know her, you should. One of the most humble people. Ever. She is forever asking me my opinion on things that I probably know nothing about. But I try. In the past week we have talked at length about parenting and church discipline—am I a mom? Not yet. A pastor? Hopefully not ever. But she still seems to value the conversation and it makes me feel loved. I have also reconnected with my friend, Laura, in the past week and that is doing my heart very well.

I have no idea why I am writing this much. I didn’t know this much was in my brain, I tell you. After writing a paper, I tend to ramble for a while after, either in speech or writing. Smoke is coming out of the keyboard.

So, starting tomorrow morning, Nick and I are taking some time to pray and listen to what the Lord is trying to say about my relationship with Him. There’s faith there somewhere, right? I am assuming He is going to speak, so that is something. Just taking two days or so to push some distractions aside and put ourselves in the place of hungering for Him. For some reason I am excited. In the past couple of days/weeks I go between feeling numb to feeling some emotions that I hate feeling, so excited is good. Might be some of the reason I am typing so fast.

What else? I’m hungry, that’s what. Off in search of food…

3 comments:

Olive said...

God is my ultimate parent-model. how he treats me, disciplines me, loves me, comforts me, etc. prayerful parenting is essential and i have no doubts you'll be a fantastic, gentle, respectful mother

shutterthink said...

Thank you, Mama Jenny!

Anonymous said...

I concur. You will be fantastic.

-Nickery